With Labor Day weekend upon us, the unofficial end of summer is here. Pumpkin Spice season, anyone? Kidding, kind of. If you find yourself on the road this weekend, or are even just hanging at home after settling back into school year routines that have just begun or are about to, try this do-anywhere, no equipment required bodyweight workout that is sure to leave you breathless, your muscles burning and probably super sweaty.
Perform the following movements back-to-back, moving directly from one exercise into the next using Metabolic Effect’s rest-based training principles: push as hard as you can, then rest until you can push hard again. As always, listen to your body and be safe.
- 100 push-ups
- 100 sit-ups
- 100 squats
- 100 burpees
A few notes…
- If you need to drop to your knees on the push-ups, fine. Still, maintain good form every rep: keep your core engaged (actively pull your belly button into your spine), back flat and elbows in close to your sides while you lower your chest to the floor.
- If you cannot do burpees, swap for another plyometric movement of choice (e.g. squat jumps, mountain climbers, jumping lunges), kettle bell swings, jump rope or 5-minute run at tempo pace (slightly faster than comfy).
- If you need to regress the workout entirely, do 50 or 25 reps of each exercise or 2-3 rounds at 25 reps of each exercise.
- Hint: You should be resting lots!
Pumpkin Spice Protein Smoothie
- 8-10 oz. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder of choice
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin (puree, not pie filling - read your labels!)
- Cinnamon, nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice, to desired taste
- Ice, to desired consistency
- Organic liquid stevia, to desired sweetness
- Coconut whipped cream, dollop (optional - buy the can, and whip your own - store extras in Pyrex in the fridge)
If you’re traveling and without your blender, or simply crunched for time, bookmark this recipe for later and let us take care of the rest! Gluten-free, real food convenience in bar form for those times when JERFing is not an option.
If you try the workout, whip up the shake (orsnag a bar!) or both, snap a pic and tag us onInstagram or post to ourFacebook page in a sweaty selfie, scenes from your leisure walk or your post-workout eats. We love seeing what you’re up to!
"Do-Anywhere Labor Day Weekend Workout… and a Festive Recipe"; by Vukoo®