It’s Veteran’s Day and, while many of us still have to work, why not celebrate the national holiday with some patriotic (vegan) pancakes this morning? A healthier alternative to the famous American slapjacks, this recipe for patriotic pancakes is sure to kickstart an active weekend.
So three cheers for the red, white, and blue as we say thank you to the men and women who have served our country! Happy Veteran’s Day everyone!
25 Minute Recipe
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 c. quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c. fresh blueberries
- 1/2 c. fresh raspberries or strawberries
- 1/4 c. coconut flakes
- 1/4 c. coconut oil
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 c. non-dairy milk (we like it with almond)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup plus more for topping.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients, excluding the fruit and coconut flakes.
- In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. Add fruit and coconut.
- Stir wet mixture in with the dry ingredients and gently stir until batter forms. Let the batter sit for 5 - 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Over medium heat, pour pancake batter into a greased pan (use coconut oil for added flavor). Cook for 2-3 minutes or until batter hardens. Flip and repeat on opposite side.
- Serve with maple syrup and any other pancake toppings you like. For extra patriotic pancakes, cut into the shape of stars.
Recipe originally adapted from Eggless Cooking
If you make this recipe or have another favorite Veteran’s Day recipe, please share it with us on Instagram or Facebook!
"Patriotic (Vegan) Pancakes for Veteran’s Day"; by Vukoo®